Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patty's Day...

So, another St. Patty's Day has come and is nearly gone and I nearly blew it! I almost forgot to buy and cook a St. Patty's Day dinner. Now, neither of us is Irish, that we know of but there's nothing to say we can't eat like an Irishman....right?! Dinner consisted of: fried cabbage and onions, boiled/roasted red potatoes and baked corned beef....I'm actually going to tell you how I did it....I don't always use recipes, I just throw stuff together. As I mentioned in the last post, I don't read recipes, I just look at the pretty pictures.

Here's my own pretty picture of dinner:

Oh my, this was so good. I know corned beef is not good for you but it sure is tasty and we don't eat it very often! Dinner tonight and leftovers for Tuesday....

I started out by boiling the corned beef to remove some of the salt. Holy ____, the broth sure is disgusting looking....don't look at it! Just dump it and boil the corned beef again, in clean water....shouldn't be nearly so salty! Ours was great! So, I drained the disgusting broth and prepared the corned beef for baking. 

Line a baking pan with aluminum foil (sure helps with clean up, I do this all the time when I think of it). Spread the spices that comes with the corned beef in the bottom of the pan. Place the corned beef on top of the spices, spread Dijon mustard over the beef. Bake in oven for 1-1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
When the beef has been cooking for an hour, clean and slice in half the red potatoes. Place in saucepan, boil until just slightly tender. Drain. Next chop the cabbage and slice the onion, add to oiled (I used Olive oil) large skillet, saute until just tender. Set aside. 
When the beef has cooked for 1-1/2 hours, remove from oven. 
Turn oven up to 450 degrees. Oil jelly roll pan, pour garlic salt (very lightly) and pepper over pan, place sliced potatoes (slices down) on one side of pan, add beef to the other side of the pan. Bake for 15 minutes on top rack. Remove from oven. Dish out on plate and you have what you see above! 

We thoroughly enjoyed tonight's dinner and it wasn't overly difficult to make. In fact, most of it was "hurry up and wait"....played some pool and watched a movie while waiting! 

But, oh man, dinner was WORTH THE WAIT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment